The Unit Head position in the Cataloging Section, Technical Services Division at the National Library of Medicine is now open on USAJOBS and will close on Tuesday, August 13, 2013. This brief posting period is because of the federal government’s interest in accelerating the hiring process and should not be interpreted as an indication that someone has already been selected.
Supervisory Librarian (MP)
MP stands for merit promotion. Applicants for MP announcements must be qualified current or former federal employees.
Supervisory Librarian (DE)
DE stands for delegated examining. Typically, candidates who are entering Federal service for the first time from the private sector will need to apply for delegated examining positions.
The position is for a Supervisory Librarian GS-1410-13, with a salary range from $89,033 to $115,742 including locality pay per annum.
The Unit Head in the Cataloging Section serves as the head of one of three cataloging units and is responsible for:
- · Providing supervisory leadership and direction to a staff of professional librarian catalogers and library technical support staff;
- · Ensuring the quality and consistency of NLM bibliographic records;
- · Creating and evaluating original bibliographic and authority records for compliance to national and local standards;
- · Advising management in establishing local policies for bibliographic control of library materials;
- · Developing and documenting cataloging policies and procedures; and
- · Representing the Cataloging Section on working groups within NLM and representing NLM to various professional and government organizations.
The Technical Services Division contributes to the National Library of Medicine’s mission of providing biomedical research and health information worldwide through a variety of programs and activities, including:
- · Formulating, implementing, and evaluating NLM collection development policies;
- · Selecting, acquiring, and processing the modern NLM collection of biomedical literature, including print and electronic resources and other digital content;
- · Producing and maintaining cataloging records and the official catalog for the NLM collection;
- · Creating and maintaining the NLM Classification System; and
- · Managing NLM’s integrated library system, the online public catalogs LocatorPlus and NLM Catalog, and the NLM Digital Collections repository.
In addition to an interesting, challenging work environment, NLM has a great location on the campus of the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Maryland. It is a short Metro ride from Washington D.C. and a short walk from Bethesda’s thriving restaurant and retail district.
Please contact Diane Boehr, Head, Cataloging Section, Technical Services Division at 301.435.7059 or firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.