Week one of National Cyber Security Awareness Month aims to raise online safety awareness among all citizens and reinforce the simple measures everyone can take to be more secure online.
Help create a safer cyber environment by taking the following steps:
– Set strong passwords, and don’t share them with anyone.
– Keep your operating system, browser, and other critical software optimized and secure by installing updates.
– Maintain an open dialogue with your family, friends, and community about Internet safety.
– Limit the amount of personal information you post online, and use privacy settings.
– Be cautious about what you receive or read online – if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
Actions you can take to promote cyber security awareness:
– Distribute Cyber Security Awareness Month materials (posters, calendars) available at http://www.dhses.ny.gov/ocs/awareness-training-events/events/2013/<http://www.dhses.ny.gov/ocs/awareness-training-events/events/2013/>
– NYS Cyber Awareness Toolkit
– Stop.Think.Connect. Toolkit
– MS-ISAC Cyber Security Awareness Toolkit
– Encourage employees and citizens to sign the Cyber Pledge at https://msisac.cisecurity.org/cyber-pledge/index.cfm?do=take_pledge. The Pledge is an easy way to encourage employees, friends and family to take security seriously and use good practices at home and at work.
– Brand and distribute the Cyber Tips Newsletter available at http://www.dhses.ny.gov/ocs/awareness-training-events/news/
– Include a Cyber Security Awareness article in your organization’s newsletter
– Hang Cyber Security Awareness posters in common areas
– Encourage cyber interested youths and individuals to sign up now for national competitions
o Cyber Aces begins 10/14 (www.cyberaces.org<http://www.cyberaces.org/>)
o CyberPatriot begins 10/10 (www.uscyberpatriot.org<http://www.uscyberpatriot.org/>)
– Ask your county, city, town or village executive to issue a Cyber Security Awareness Month Proclamation. A template is available on our website at http://www.dhses.ny.gov/ocs/awareness-training-events/events/2013/.