- Changing landscape of scholarly communication
- use of social media is increasing signifcantly in scholarly communication
- Twitter in Higher Education study
- sharing research
- finding collaborators
- tracking other researchers.
- developing online presence
- Google Scholar Citations & Profiles
- Facebook for scientists
- must upload publications
- Academia.edu similar to ResearchGate
Study is environmental scan.
Role of the academic library:
- stay ahead of the trends in scholarly communications.
- lift barriers to using tools by education and informing.
- using these tools to better understand our users.
Future directions of research:
- tenured faculty and grad students
- include arts and humanities
- In active vs active
- closer look at twitter and blogs