Using Knoodl for Ontology Creation – Sarah Theimer, SU Library, firstname.lastname@example.org, metadata librarian.
Ontologies and Knoodl in 30 minutes
Why ontologies are important.
concepts and relationships between concepts within a knowledge domain.
Semantic Web – linked concepts and data.
Ontologies provide a common understanding. Sharing a common understanding of the structure of information is one of the more common goals in developing ontologies.
Ontology software: Ontology
Use Protege documentation.
- domain and scope – What is it about? Know your audience. Who are you trying to help?
- What concepts need to be included? What questions need to be answered?
- Consider reusing existing ontologies. ( Search Linked Open Vocabularies – LOV ; schema.org as well.)
- Define classes and hierarchy – Classes are concepts. have properties, instances.
- Knoodl good for learning. Use Protege for work related projects
- Many specific ontologies exist.
- Need to look at local implementation
Ontologies are important. Use them every day. Similar to markup languages definitions.